Under the Quilt

I'm here. You're here. Let's talk amongst ourselves.

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

So, yeah...

Thought I would write a few blurbs about the goings on around these parts. I started a new job on the weekends. I call it my 6th and 7th day of the work week. Ha! If I don't remain humorous I may just go completely insane. So, yeah. I'm now working seven days a week for an unspecified amount of time. Plus, I took on a side project a couple months ago that I've been mostly procrastinating on and now regretting that I didn't use all of my free time on it. Once I can get that out of the way, my stress level will decrease tremendously. I'm currently sworn to secrecy, but will let y'all know what it is when I'm done. That is unless I'm completely embarrassed by my shotty attempt at writing. In that case, I'll probably just pretend that I never mentioned anything and you all can do the same!

So, my new job on the weekends (and an occasional weeknight extending my M-F work days to about 15 hours...yay). I am a "Suite Attendant" at one of the more upscale hotels in town. Suite Attendant is obviously just a glorified term for maid. I will say that all of my new co-workers seem very nice. I've worked in this setting before, back before I had any kids, and it's not easy to find pleasant, ungrouchy people in housekeeping. It ain't the most pleasant job, but it pays the bills. I'm actually excited because for years I have not had co-workers and believe it or not, that is going to be one of the perks for me. Yes, I said it. Real live adults (not 3 year olds...who I love dearly... who throw fits all day). I told myself, "Self, if you have to work seven days a week you need to have variety. Caring for children seven days a week will get monotonous and you will start to get burned out."

Last weekend was my first on the job. The older lady that I was paired with is a hoot!!! I hope they stick me with her again until I finish my training. We got on the subject of anti-depressants and she said, "Yeah, I've been on them for the past 7 years, right after my husband passed away. I call them my "I Don't Give a Shit! pills....HAHAHAH!!!"

I love her laugh. It's contagious and she has this wonderful old lady name that fits her perfectly. When we were done for the day and restocking her cart, she even told me that on her days off I could use her cart if necessary. If you haven't ever had the pleasure (or displeasure) of being in the company of a group of housekeepers/maids/suite attendants, then you may not know how much of a BIG DEAL that offer is. I have definitely found a new friend. I thanked her for the offer, but I don't think I'll need to take her up on it because I have my own brand spanking new (or recently cleaned and refilled by mwah) cleaning cart. Orick vacuum and all! You know the ones I'm talking about. Whenever you stay in a motel and it's sitting in the hall, maid nowhere in sight. You think...hmmm, I need some extra soap/shampoo/sewing kit. No one will EVER notice! So you snap a few extras. And maybe an extra bath towel while you're at it. Well, if anyone decides to do that from my cart, I will definitely understand. And even look the other way. Because you know what kind of soap we have on our fancy little carts??? Bath and Body Works. The bath bar is Brown Sugar Vanilla and the face/hand bar is Coconut Lime (I think?).

I am going to have THE HARDEST TIME not sticking one in my pocket to take home. It's worse than the temptation to steal office supplies. Post-its have nothing over Bath and Body Works.


p.s. Oh, I almost forgot the bestest part! My first bed made by myself after the Head Housekeeper left me on my own. 12 minutes!! Apparently the veterans do theirs in around 11 minutes. These are not your ordinary beds, mind you. Smooth the mattress cover and pull taut. Fitted sheet with the elastic stretchies on the sides of bed. Pull taut. Flat sheet on next, leaving one to two inches at the top. White thermal blanket, about 4 inches down from the flat sheet. Decorative sheet, next. Line it up with the blanket. Fold the bottom flat sheet over the top of the blanket and decorative sheet, tucking in the sides VERY TIGHTLY. Oh yeah, I forgot the bottom flat sheet has the "ugly" edge facing up since it it going to get folded over. The decorative sheet has the "pretty" edge facing up. (getting bored yet?) Next, put the pillow cases on the six, yes SIX, pillows (four for the queens). 3 feather pillows centered in the back, 3 synthetic centered and placed in front of the feathered. Don't forget to place the zipper from the pillow cover on the inside of the case and then do your envelope fold so that no part of the pillow is exposed. Make sure to place the folded end of the pillow to the center of the bed. Now....(taking a breather)....go down to the bottom of the bed and kneel down at the corner. You must kneel down and press your knee against the bed skirt or else it will get folded up with the sheets as you do your fancy hospital corner tucks. Put your hand down under all 3 elements (flat sheet, blanket, decorative sheet) and pull up slightly on the mattress. Stuff all three under the mattress making a nice clean (and tight!) fit. "Wrap the present" on each corner. Tuck in sides all the way to the top of the bed (tightly!). Grab your very neatly folded comforter which you have placed on the nearby cushioned foot stool. Place the zipper nearest to the window. Fold it in a fan style so that when the occupant gets into bed they can easily pull it up and over the sheet. Lastly, place the velour bolster pillow centered in front of the 6 bed pillows. Smooth out any wrinkles as needed. Viola! Now does 12 minutes sound a little more impressive??

25 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM , Blogger This suzy said...

    Any and every job is better if you have great co-workers, so I'm glad it sounds like you do!!

    (I'm sorry, I skimmed the bed-making part. I just got home from work. lol)

     
  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Suzy- No need to apologize! It is very long and very boring and I should give anyone that reads it some kind of reward. Ha!

     
  • At 8:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Roxanne, you are amazing. I really mean that.

    Can I ask you a question? Is it expected that hotel guests will leave a tip in the room for the attendant? I've heard varying opinions on this and have never been sure. Some hotels leave a small note in the room that indicates that tips are welcome, but others don't.

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Liz- Any and all tips are very appreciated whether it is Motel 6 or The Ritz. I would compare the note left in the room to a restaurant that tacks on a 15-20% tip to the bill. If you're happy with the cleanliness of the room and service, than by all means....TIP! Haha.

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger Caro said...

    Good Lord - I can barely fold clothes. I would make a muddle of those beds, I'm telling you.

    And wow at six pillows! Every time we stay somewhere I swear we are lucky to get two and they are usually flat. One time we had extra pillows but they reeked of mildew. Blech.

     
  • At 10:44 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- next time you stay in my neck of the woods, I'll fix you up with a great place to stay. No mildewy pillows! (and we get a "friends and family" deal!)

     
  • At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    do not be bored

     
  • At 7:21 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    How did the writing thing go?

     
  • At 8:06 PM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Caro- I had to back out, which really disappointed me because I hate to not follow through on commitments. It was becoming a HUGE weight on my shoulders and I had little to no time to dedicate to it.

     
  • At 8:51 PM , Anonymous Loreto said...

    pls add me to your blog.. thanks.... I'm also a businessman..

     
  • At 11:35 AM , Blogger fullboz said...

    Hello my friend……
    hit$$
    keep in touch
    Hit+++ http://forbos.flixya.com
    http://forbos.blogspot.com
    http://fullboz.hubpages.com
    Thank you very much

     
  • At 1:05 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

    Hey! Writing is soooo not shotty! Love the part about Bath and Body Works... temptation!!

    OMG my CAPTCHA word to be sure I'm not spamming is "WORPLE"... felt obligated to share that!

     
  • At 9:25 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Stephanie- I'm surprised that anyone is still reading this poor, neglected blog...I haven't written in sooo long. Thanks for stopping by. And thanks for the compliment! Maybe I'll be inspired to start writing again...

     
  • At 1:07 PM , Blogger Caro said...

    Just checking in!

     
  • At 12:07 AM , Blogger Roxanne said...

    Yeah, I thinks it's about time I wrote something since it's been over a year now. I'll have to get my writing mojo back at some point.

     
  • At 10:04 AM , Blogger Fitness shoes said...

    do not be bored

     
  • At 4:25 PM , Blogger hapi said...

  • At 9:48 AM , Blogger Veronica Haunani Fitzhugh said...

    thank you for sharing. congrats on your new job. and, thanks again for teaching me the proper way to make a bed. :)

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Tory Burch Boots So long as through observes the spot which the shoe sole wears, may know that body's center of gravity fell in where. Will hold down the full tendon, the calf and the anklebone place will feel that the ache will make an effort slightly with the thumb when will hold back the full tendon, the calf and the anklebone place, if hurts to calls to make noise, then the showing question was already serious Tory Burch Flip Flops.
    Becomes when the right angle stands jeu76ch, the knee inward shrinks stands in the room corner, the buttocks sticks to the corner wall surface, the leg separates. Let the Tory Burch Flats and about two walls parallel, assumes 90o to stand separately. When the back launches, the waist relaxes when sinks, the knee to the inside shrinks, then explained that full bow muscle's support ability is weak. However the stars each time can leave the mirror by the different modelling, but their shoes shoe and so on matches plays the part of actually throughout insists "the usability" the principle, therefore we will see some pair of shoes will become on the star foot "the patron Tory Burch Sandals".

     
  • At 11:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Thanks for sharing it and a huge smile is wide across my face!Please also visit on these hypertext keywords for lump sum cash settlement:--- cash for settlement payment | money for settlement | sell my structured settlements | lump sum cash settlement

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Blogger espylink said...

    It's looking so delicious.Kindly visit on these keywords for Making money online :-- Pay per post | Social media advertiser | Making money online  



     
  • At 8:44 AM , Anonymous vuhelp.net said...

    Nice blogger

     
  • At 8:36 PM , Blogger Shamsa A said...

    I was just reading my own blog when accidentally I hit the next button and this showed up.
    Enjoyed reading it :)
    You an check out my blogs at
    http://iandnduandus.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 12:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    great!! this blog Dalequeviajas

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home